It’s time for hot days and warm nights in Clear Lake & League City, TX and you can be sure we’re looking forward to BBQ’s with family, movie nights on the couch, and having friends over for summer fun. This is also a great time to think about a residential cleaning service. We know cleaning is not on the top of the agenda, but we thought we’d offer up 5 simple tips to help you get your summer off to a great start.
- Refresh Towels – It’s awful to step out of the shower and dry off with a towel that smells bad. Towels can get musty in the summer because they don’t dry thoroughly. To freshen them up, wash towels in hot water and add ½ cup of baking soda in the rinse cycle. Then dry them at the highest heat recommended for the fabric. The combination of odor fighting baking soda and hot water, plus the high heat of the dryer gets rid of dank, stinky smells.
- Leave shoes at the door – Removing shoes when you go inside is fairly common these days. If it’s not a habit in your home, now is a good time to start. You can stop sand and dirt at the door by having people remove their shoes when they come inside. If you then place washable rugs in high traffic areas, this also keeps dirt from being tracked room to room.
- Reduce crumbs – With the extra time available in the summer, eating becomes more of luxury and possibly we all get a little lazier. Keep eating to the kitchen or dining room and you’ll greatly reduce the chances of getting crumbs on the floor or between the couch cushions. If you have teenagers, this will have a huge impact on making it easier to keep your home clean. Don’t get us wrong, teenagers are great, but their eating habits don’t always focus on reducing mess.
- Keep the microwave clean – Microwaving snacks or meals doesn’t always leave the microwave as clean we’d like. For a simple, chemical free clean, microwave a bowl of water for 5 minutes. Keep the door closed for an additional 5 minutes. Then, carefully remove the bowl of hot water and simply wipe out the interior walls and floor. It’s really that easy.
- Keep your kitchen sponge clean – Just like tip #1, a foul-smelling sponge leaves its mark on the room. At least once a week, put the damp sponge in the microwave for 1 minute. This simple trick kills 99% of the bacteria on the sponge. In addition, make sure your sponge dries out overnight. That means squeezing excess water out and giving your sponge room to breathe and dry.
We hope you find the above ideas useful. If you want help keeping your whole house clean this summer, call DK’s Dustbusters. We’re your locally woman owned and operated cleaning crew serving Clear Lake, League City, TX and the surrounding area since 1984. DK’s Dustbusters is your best choice for residential maid service.